07-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #21
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
2008 BMW X3...

I was seduced by the 6 speed manual...? I guess? Having owned only one other suv, a ‘96 Lexus LX450 (a true beast of a car for the apocalypse), I somehow found myself behind the wheel of an X3... with less room than a sedan, a suspension out of a Lambo, and a propensity for leaving me stranded in the cold of Maine. After the last plastic bit in the coolant system broke, unleashing the volcanic eruption of antifreeze all over the engine and up my windshield, I bought a ‘97 Impreza for $800 as a quick way out and boy THAT turned out to be one of the most fun and indestructible cars I have ever driven. Just try to kill one of those, it can’t be done easily.
Yours is an instructive post.

My first reaction is that if to the extent possible we could gather together every data point for every relevant vehicle (e.g., the reports produced by Consumer Reports), and then associate those with a wide range of anecdotal experiences such as your own, many enthusiasts would be better prepared to go out to do battle with the reality of the cars that are out there to be purchased, new and used.

Clearly, the internet has helped in this regard. At the same time, the complexity of the new cars on offer today suggests that we may never catch up to the manufacturers.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50