View Single Post
      08-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #6
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
As soon as you can afford to do it is the best time to start.

My mod recommendations, in order:
Listen to these recommendations, there's a lot of wisdom offered here.

If you want to understand how much more important 0) is than anything else, ask your instructor to drive your car for a few laps. Most would be happy to do that. Then you'll realize how much more pace there is in the car as it is, no other mods needed.

The one thing I'd change in dradernh 's list is swap the order of brake upgrades and a front camber solution. It's easy to completely destroy the outside of your front tires in just a single day without enough camber. Really, any camber plate will do -- Ground Control, Vorshlag, TC Kline, or any of the other typical solutions -- offset bushings, eccentric strut bolts, slotted strut towers, etc.

The forums here also love recommending the F80 lower control arms, which give you a fixed 2 degrees or so. That's fine if you don't plan on getting any faster. If you do, you'll end up needing more camber and you're back to square one.

In terms of tires, I'd say stick with the PSS you have for now. They're actually surprisingly good in single-lap pace -- I've gotten them within 2 seconds compared to RE71rs on a ~2:10 lap. And they're perfect for learning -- once they're near their grip limit, they start getting very loud, and they approach that limit much more gradually. The more aggressive tires tend to snap quietly and suddenly, so you really have to catch them quickly without as much warning. Where the PSS fail is handling heat in repeated pushing -- once you see them starting to chunk, it's a good time to move to more aggressive tires.

Last edited by msendit; 08-29-2020 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
mikeysosa162.50