View Single Post
      10-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

OIL COOLER - Comfort vs Sport Mode

So I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and have the ability to run a dashboard of simple gauges on my phone. Actually, I purchased a Verizon predaid phone for $30 but just never activated the Samsung phone. I just use it as a monitor. similar to Torque app.
Anyway, what I have found is that the Sport & Sport + modes activate the oil cooler vs in Comfort mode it does not. Oil Temp today with the outside temp going to work in comfort mode was 50degf. AT 50deg and going 80mph on the interstate I saw oil temps running 210-230deg. On the way home with outside temps of 80deg , I was running high 220 range and switched from Comfort to Sport. Oil temp starts to drop about 30seconds after the switch and drop to around 175-185 deg range.
I switched back and forth and it is really amazing how much of a drop there is in Sport mode. Comfort as high as 234 deg vs Sport in the low 170 deg range. Surprising that the oil cooler is not simply activated by oil temps but by mode. Just as interesting is that in Comfort mode and over 230deg that the oil cooler never kicked in but I am betting over 235deg the oil cooler by-pass is activated. I wonder if the oil pressure drops when going thru the oil cooler -- my program does not show oil pressure -- darn.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50