10-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I found a similar stat on an older model somewhere.

Viffermike , do you know if I can use the technic harness to add an amp to power upgraded under seat subs?

Then the sub channels on the stock amplifier would not be used? Would I encounter any issues with that?

I took a shot in the dark and ordered a couple Rockford Fosgate p3 shallows 4 ohm dvc subs that I plan on running at 2 ohm for a direct replacement.

I want to see how they sound on the stock amp, but will likely add an amp to power them assuming I can make them fit.
If those RFs are drop-in replacements for the underseat drivers, I would NOT power them with a separate amp dedicated only to the underseat drivers. Several reasons for this, all documented in other threads:
- Notice that I'm using the term 'underseat drivers'. They are NOT subwoofers in the traditional sense. They are mid-bass/bass drivers tuned to reproduce some sub-bass frequencies. Even aftermarket speakers tuned to replicate subs such as the RFs and the Earthquake SWS-8 are actually bass drivers, NOT subwoofers.
- Running an amp dedicated only to the underseat drivers will create all sorts of balance and volume issues with the OEM amp's output. Why? Because there is no dedicated subwoofer channel. The HiFi system's head unit only outputs four line-level channels -- LF, RF, LR and RR -- which the OEM amp sums to create three extra speaker-level channels: the two underseat channels and the center channel. The signal that the underseat drivers get is LF and RF, and volume varies as the fader control is moved away from its '0' setting.
- The biggest problem with the 2 Series Audio is clarity across the spectrum. If all you're looking for is bigger bass, the only real solution is a dedicated subwoofer, in a dedicated enclosure, with a dedicated amp and volume control. Technic's Add-an-amp harness for subs makes this possible, as I understand it. But it CANNOT work with the underseat drivers.
Appreciate 0