View Single Post
      11-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #18
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
WOW! What a difference! I felt so much more in control of the car. I no longer had to spend time consciously unbracing myself after each corner. It left much more time to think about the next corner and what I was doing.

Being planted in the seat made managing the constant left-right weight transfers way more precise.

But overall, after track pads and tires, I think this upgrade needs be high on the list for anyone tracking their car.

Oh, and the blue straps, on my EB car with black interior looks really bitchin!
Some pilots talk about strapping the plane on; you're talking about strapping the car on (to your rear end). Now that you've experienced it, there's no substitute for it, is there.

I first experienced this in a built track car. The decrease in physical effort left me with a remarkable increase in attention span for everything else involved in driving the car. That experience was pretty darn exciting and had a great deal to do with my turning into a track rat.

In Ross Bentley's Ultimate Speed Secrets, Chapter 1 is entitled 'Behind the Wheel', and the first paragraph in that chapter is this:

"Being comfortable in the car is critical. If you're not comfortable, it will take more physical energy to drive and affect you mentally. A painful body will reduce your concentration level."

It may not be evident, but the principal issue there is not increased performance; instead, it's driver safety.

If pressed, I could argue for installing the Schroth 4-pointers before doing anything else to the car, especially when a driver is first starting out. In that case, he'll never have to experience track-driving g-forces in a way other than being fixed in his chair right behind his steering wheel, with his legs fully free to help his feet operate the pedals.

He'll also no longer need to use the steering wheel to help stabilize his torso, as that part of his body is now fixed in place. As a result, he can operate the wheel with a light touch and pass over the stage where the wheel is gripped too tightly to perceive all of the feedback through the wheel that the car is sending to him. Another benefit is that as he upgrades with, say, tires and brake fluid, he'll have more attention with which to experience the difference those upgrades are making. That's not trivial; generally, it means getting better sooner.

I too like my blue 4-point Schroths with my EB car and black interior. The belts are a couple of shades brighter, but in the dark interior they come off as matching the EB extremely well. Full marks to Schroth for thinking of us!
Appreciate 1
Miata1387.00