View Single Post
      09-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #37
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post

The actual difference in rear tire size can only be determined if you lay down with a tape measure and look for the less than 1 inch difference. You will never be able to tell otherwise.
There's a HUGE difference in visual width and presence. A 225/40R18 P7 has a section width of 9.1" and a tread width of a mere 6.0". The P7s really roll inwards a lot from the section edge to tread edge. In comparison, a 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot 4S has a section width of 9.1" and a tread width of 7.7". The 245/35R18 Michelin Pilot 4S has a section width of 9.8" and a tread width of 8.4". Simply put, a 2 series on the staggered summer tire setup has a lot more lateral grip and the tires are MUCH blockier and fill out the wheel wells much better.

There's a M235 that parks next to me at work. It has the 225/40R18 square P7 setup. I run a square 245/35R18 Michelin Pilot 4S setup. That car looks like it's on it's tip toes in comparison to the setup I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Oh, forgot to mention the piece of mind having a RF tire that can get you to a service station in the event you pick up a nail. I have a very bad back so using a plug/slime kit or changing a tire on the roadside is out of the question for me.
I get that, but in my 30 years of driving, I've never had a nail cause a significant air leak to the point that I couldn't drive on it to a safe place to repair it. I carry a compact $25 scissor jack and a $10 plug kit. I can remove a nail, clean the hole, and insert a plug in 30 minutes or less.

Runflats have a very bad reputation on this site for blowing out when hitting big potholes. The ultra stiff sidewalls simply don't do well when hitting sharp pavement cuts. You don't hear about that issue with those running standard tires other than some noting they got a sidewall bubble when hitting a big pothole. What good does a runflat do you if it has a large tendency to blow out