View Single Post
      09-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #36
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Not sure if this matters ... but if you order with the all season tires the speed of the car will forever be limited to 130 rather than 150 (155?) if you ordered it with the summer tires.
Honestly, I do not mind the square set up or the fact that my top speed is limited to 130. I never planned on going any faster than 129MPH with the car anyway.

I had planned on getting a square set of OZ Ultraleggera rims and the lightest set of tires I could to eliminate as much unstrung weight as possible. I did this with my Mini Cooper S and it made a noticeable improvement in performance and handling. Square set up allows for a tire rotation if you are so inclined.

After living with the M240i for a while, adding another set of wheels and tires to a car that I never race or track seemed like a waste of money since the car is so quick as is. With a tune, the car is a beast and can quickly become a handful if you're not careful.

It is very easy to get caught up in "on paper performance and specifications". I see this continually on other forums. No amount of HP is ever enough even though many cars cannot adequately use the HP they have. For most of us, the extremes these specifications represent we will never actually realize as long as we own the car.

Originally I did not realize that going AS affected my Top speed or squared the wheels and tires. I was upset thinking somehow my car was going to be less than others. The actual difference in rear tire size can only be determined if you lay down with a tape measure and look for the less than 1 inch difference. You will never be able to tell otherwise. The top speed difference is pretty much "moot", even if you drag race the car. If you race or track the car and have the room to see speeds over 130MPH, then for sure, you'll want the staggered set up. Otherwise the difference is only forum of coffee shop talk.

Oh, forgot to mention the piece of mind having a RF tire that can get you to a service station in the event you pick up a nail. I have a very bad back so using a plug/slime kit or changing a tire on the roadside is out of the question for me.
Appreciate 0