View Single Post
      11-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
Thank you, Tom! Very helpful. I will hold off until Black Friday, thanks for the tip. I’m using Hawk pads so shouldn’t be any issue but great info to have. — The only other concern I have is regarding handling with a 245/40 all-season tire, as I know the 245/40 RS4’s have spoiled me with handling characteristics.

I’m hoping to find an all-season tire at 245 width that doesn’t slug up the steering response too much. This is a general question for anyone who’s reading but if you have any suggestions about best handling year-round tires or feedback from customers who went with 17’s for daily use vs 18’s pros and cons, that would be helpful. Still torn on the 18’s vs 17’s for the sake of handling (35 sidewall vs 40). * note: I don’t encounter much snow.

Thanks again
I've had quite a bit of positive customer feedback about the Michelin AS3/4 tires in terms of performance on the road and in the rain. I haven't driven them myself though so I'm not sure how stiff the sidewalls are and how they affect handling.

I run Continental DWS 06s on my E46 in Portland, OR. We don't get much snow, but we have quite a bit of rain and I've been happy with them. They have a bit more squish than the summer tires I've driven on, but I like the ride comfort . They are also more affordable than the Michelins and have lasted a really long time. I've got about 10k miles on mine and they still have tons of tread left and work well in standing water. Now that I don't drive much they will probably age out long before I get to fully use them up.

Most of our customers are going with the 18s on this chassis, but the 17s definitely add a bit more squish to your ride and can add a bit of vagueness to your steering. I would look for tires with stiffer sidewalls if you want that sharper steering response although that will generally correspond with a decrease in ride comfort.

-Tom