View Single Post
      05-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Sunsetter
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

Second amp install location in vert

I just swapped out the HK amp in my 2015 M235i convertible with a Match Up 7BMW amp and am pretty happy with it - there is actually stereo separation now, and no more clock radio sensation. I wired up the remote and RCA outputs with an eye towards installing a second amp to power an 8" subwoofer, and now need to figure out where this second amp is going to go. I have been eyeing the space next to the tire inflation kit, but it looks like all that will fit there (maybe) is something like the tiny Kenwood KAC-M3001, and even that will likely not work once there are a bunch of cables going into it.

So, the question is: has anyone removed the right hand side of the trunk trim (ie, the opposite side of where the factory amp is installed) and can speak to how much space is down there? I believe I have elsewhere seen pictures of someone installing a small JL Audio amp in that space in a coupe, but everything tends to be tighter on the convertible. Has anyone with a convertible done this? I could just open it up myself, but it was quite a bit of work to get the left side opened up for the amp replacement (convertible requires the removal of the upper panel and seat fold-down pull as well) and I would rather not deal with that if there is someone who has already explored that area. Thanks in advance for any responses.

-Sunsetter
Appreciate 0