123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Make me wonder how a 30wt oil is the right oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
I have a P3 gauge in my car that I have set to oil temp all the time. Mine will normally run between 244-248 on the street (sometimes drops cooler, but about 80-90% of the time), and on the track actually runs a bit lower (more airflow -- I'm in LA stop and go traffic, so not much air getting to my car on the street).

Normally when I hit my cooldown lap on track, oil almost immediately drops about 10 degrees. The oil cooler in this car is quite robust (with the aux oil cooler). I've only ever seen it hit 250 once, and I was banging into the first gear rev limiter (I was doing drills at a driving school -- dont judge).

Not really sure about people running in the 230s constantly. The car's thermostat does a nice job of keeping the car at optimal temps -- I've done track days with 100+ degrees on track and never had a limp mode problem (heat soak in the charge air is a different story, but oil temps were always fine).
I think 220-240F is an optimal range for our M235i N55 -- and this really makes me wonder how a 0W-30 wt oil which is usually calculated at 212F for viscosity - is appropriate. We need a Poll of avg oil temp at 80f --- not very definitive but would be interesting.
Appreciate 0