View Single Post
      04-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #116
Rolf14
Rep
Drives: 14' 228i MSport

Brake Dust Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Agreed on the squeal and dusting. Personally I don't care about brake dust (badge of honor for using "good" brake pads), but I totally understand those who want super clean wheels. However, the first thing you normally have to give up for "good" brake pads is the dusting unless you get carbon ceramic pads/rotors.

(1) This weekend I performed a small experiment on my 2014 M-Sport 228: I substituted two of the OEM pads with two Akebono ceramic pads. I then washed and waxed my extra set of silver 461s and went driving for a couple days (less than 100 miles). The amount of dust that accumulated inside and outside of the wheels with the OEM pads was astounding. I am now running Akebono on all 4 wheels. I am willing to trade a little less “performance” when the pads are cold, for the amount of work required to keep the wheels clean, particularly so because once the brakes are warm, the performance is so much better. (2) While I was there, I noticed the amount of surface rust on the hubs and OEM disks. Why is that? I had scraped that rust and painted the area with caliper paint, but the rust is back. BMW should use some kind of treatment to minimize rust in that area.
Appreciate 0