09-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #164
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post
Wow, thanks again Mike. You're a wealth of information. Does that mean I shouldn't use the stock amplification if I get the SWS-8? The amp is a significant cost increase ($550 CAD) and I'm reluctant to do the AMP swap due to my own inexperience.

If I don't bother with replacing the stock under-seat woofers then would the wider frequency range of the JL Audio C2-400x be a better idea than the Tempo Ultra or Hertz ECX?
I think the SWSs will handle power from an aftermarket amp fine if you end up going that route.

The aim with selecting drivers is for them to complement each other regarding frequency loads, response curves, and sonic strengths relative to the type of music you'll be listening to. For instance, the Jehnerts aren't really subs: they are mid-bass drivers. Since you'll be listening to hip hop a lot, you will need a driver that can get to 60-80 Hz easily if need be. The SWSs are built to do that in the space under the seat; the Jehnerts aren't. That said, you may find that the SWSs don't give you enough, so it's best to consider that now instead of later -- meaning if you decide to add an actual subwoofer, the SWSs can serve the bass and mid-bass frequencies fine, too.

In both scenarios above, you won't have a need for a 4-inch coaxial that can get down to 80-120 Hz like either the JL Audio or the Hertzs -- and with the type of music you'll be listening to, that's not a priority, either. You want midrange drivers that can handle vocals, harmonies, and transients well, particularly below 800 Hz or so. The Ultra Tempos fit that bill well -- better than the others mentioned, IMHO, particularly paired with that smooth Morel tweeter.

For reference (and counterpoint): I mostly listen to music with a lot of dynamism and detail: Metal, electronica, progressive instrumentals, jazz. I chose the Hertzs when I upgraded because I knew I would probably upgrade the amp (I did) and wouldn't fool with the underseat drivers (I didn't), and I liked how they sounded combined with its frequency curve and build materials relative to the type of music I enjoy. I've done the same with my home system: I run a sealed SVS sub, paired with bookshelf speakers loaded with a woven-PPL-cone SEAS of Norway driver and a ribbon tweeter powered by a Classe 100-watt Class A amp. I chose all of it because of the type of music I listen to.
Appreciate 0