Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Well, the reason people use nitrogen (and by people, I mean race car drivers) is b/c nitrogen doesn't migrate through the tire as easily as oxygen.
Which simply is not a major issue in a normal passenger car tire that isn't leaky to start with. And the reason race car (and aircraft) engineers use Nitrogen is that it is more stable across a wide range of temperatures. An aircraft tire can see temp swings of 150F+ in the course of a single flight. My car sees temp swings of about 115F across SIX MONTHS. When you check and adjust tire pressures all the time anyway, as on a race car, the fact that it is very slightly less likely to leak through the rubber is pretty irrelevant. But both of these things are just not important AT ALL on a street driven car.

The one thing that IS probably good about a full nitrogen fill in a street car is that the nitrogen fill probably will be dryer than a regular air fill. But if you use an air compressor that has a dryer, that won't be an issue either. Many gas station compressors do not, my home compressor does. But even then, it is unlikely to make a difference other than in extreme cases.

Nitrogen fill in street car tires is a scam, full stop. But if you want to pay the money, be my guest, I won't stop you.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0