jordan24c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 EB 240, G87 M2 (preodered)

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Excellent videos - your clean laps look very, very good!

Your camera may do a better job if it's placed in the windshield, where it doesn't have to manage the contrast between the interior and the outside. An added benefit is that you can then see precisely where your front tires are placed as you turn-in, apex, and exit each corner. That can help improve consistency, as videos can be more accurate than our memories.
Yeah, I was just using my phone to record off of a Tack Form mount attached to my headrest. On Saturday and Sunday it was overcast/rainy so none of my videos washed out and I didn't notice that was the case until I left the track on Monday. I thought it would be cool to see the quasi-roll bar perspective like on TV but the clear downside is that once I put the phone up there, I had zero clue if it was working (I DEFINITELY didn't miss the two Monday morning sessions because it failed to record)! Hopefully I can scrap some money (and spousal approval) for a GoPro and some kind of data logger (segue to second/third point).

Quote:
I'm curious about which tires you were running. Our cars can stay on the throttle longer in the faster sections, but not if their tires aren't able to handle the much higher forces in the subsequent braking zones.

Your car's rear end would sit up and wiggle going into China Beach. Do you think that was tires, the track surface in the braking section, both, or maybe something else? My car did the same thing when I was looking for tenths at 138 MPH, and I have to say I didn't enjoy it very much.
I am/was running Falken RT615k+'s this weekend (245/40/18 on all 4). You could probably notice some hesitation, especially in keyhole, cause I had a bit of PTSD from last year where I shredded - and I mean shredded - my Pilot Supersport sidewalls on an out lap where I pushed a bit too hard.

The limp noodle rear end into China Beach is TBD. The general consensus is that I'm simply braking too hard initially. Some instructors thought it might be a lack of rear aero (which made me happy because it gave legitimacy to "needing" an APR wing), but the majority thought I just needed to marginally slow the time its taking me to get to that threshold. That's why I'm so disappointed in what Track Addict was exporting (and why I want a logger that can pull brake pressure adequately) when I could get it to connect to my OBD (you can see in one of those videos that the brake trace is binary) - I have a feeling that if I could compare the brake pressure graphs on laps where it was stable into CB and where it wasn't, I'd see a trend.