05-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM5 View Post
But . . . I really should have not listened to anyone else and cross shopped the 718 in my search. I recently came across one in the flesh and the looks of that car are what I see when I dream at night. That horrible engine sound that everyone hated sounded pretty decent to me. Does the NA flat 6 sound better? Absolutely. I don't know who would chose the sound of the turbo flat 4 over it, but it was nowhere near the level of "do not pass go" that the S55 was. Plus, that low end torque is there with the turbo flat 4. I'm alone in the car 99.9999999999999999999999% of the time and probably had more than 2 people in my car only once since I got the 240i. Anytime I need to actually fit stuff in a car, I take my wife's car anyway. So moving to a 2 seater would have zero impact on my use for a car. Our winters here are mild enough where I only need to have one vehicle. I've had the combo of having a practical and a fun car for years and the fun car ended up just sitting most of the time not getting driven, so whatever I get will be my DD. So within the next couple of months, I hope to make the switch to a 718 with Sports Chrono, PASM, PTV, Carplay, etc. I know it will be a "rougher" DD, but the whole package is worth it to me. I'm definitely going to take a hit in the wallet on the resale of the 240i, that is for sure! But being a car person is not a way in which one is rational!
The 718 tracks really nice, and it's not too rough as a DD. I bought my 981 before the 718s came out and am still happy I did. It doesn't have all of the tech, but I use it primarily for auto-x. I can say that the addition of headers and a tune can do wonders for low-end torque, power, and keep that intoxicating sound. The 718 is a fantastic car, though. You will love it.
Appreciate 1
PDM5150.00