View Single Post
      11-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #27
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba8523 View Post
I've loosened the nut from the terminal clamp enough to the point where the bolt is now moving too when I tighten/loosen...
Here is what is happening:

The bottom part of the bolt is square. It lays against a flat surface so it cant turn while you're turning the nut at the top (see red line in picture, that is the flat surface). Once you loosen the nut at the top too much the square part of the bolt lowers enough that it passes the the flat part, now it spins. If you're past this and you want to tighten, you need to push or pull the whole nut/bolt up so the flat part holds the square bolt end so you can turn the nut again. Put a finger under the bolt and push up while you turn the nut at the top, or put a flat screwdriver under the bolt to hold it all up while you turn the nut.

Why it didnt work: that nut and bolt squeeze the bracket around the soft metal of the battery terminal. Once you loosen it, its probably still dug into the soft metal and you cant lift it. The solution would be to pry something in the middle of the bracket to spread it out and then pull it up over the terminal, or just pry the whole thing up until it pops off.

Why bother tho: I dunno why you're removing the bracket from the battery terminal, it would have been much easier to just unbolt the other end of the ground where its bolted to the body. Just make sure if you unbolt that end that it cant touch anything metal after its disconnected as that would be the new ground and the car would have power again.

When I first touched a car I wasnt mechanically inclined either, gotta learn by doing it (and making mistakes)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0