04-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #82
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I do all the stuff you mentioned above. (checking pressure, marking with chalk...etc)

I ran with CCSCC in rantoul, IL little over 2 yrs.
I did about 20+ autocross event 7~8 years ago but I was not that competitive driver anyway.
I did Autocross class they offered and I did learn a lot of what you explained.
They do have several good drivers.

For my current car, it's got MPSS. That side wall is soft.
I started at 40 psi but it rolled down to sidewall. lol
So I had to keep pumping up. It was stable around 45~46 after 3 runs. (peaked at 48)
Rear was good at 35 psi.

Maybe I will start with 35~38 psi next time see how far I wear down on the sidewall.

Once I get RE71 later, I will try lower pressure.
I saw couple of E90 M3 running 33 psi in front with RE71. So It will be good starting point.
Chicago Region SCCA and Milwaukee Region SCCA has some fast guys, so you might want to check them out. If you like a more relaxed club, Windy City Miata guys are one of the chillest; at least they were when I used to go to their events.

For AX, I keep my tires (not just 71Rs and Rivals, but also the previous "it" tires before that like RS3s, SS ZIIs, etc) around 32-33psi hot (slightly lower in the back to help with corner exits).

The fastest way to get better at AX is not to just attend more AX events, but to attend the test and tune days for those who campaign on a regular basis. Those guys will usually rent out a lot for themselves to set up figure 8s, slaloms, etc so they can fine tune their suspension and dial in their alignment on the spot for that particular surface. You'll get way more runs and get much better advice at these types of "events" as long as you're committed to testing various set ups on your car.
Appreciate 0