03-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #76
Quick135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135  [7.76]
Congrats on the 235!

Your review echoes a lot of things I found when I test drove one last Friday. Like you (and probably many other potential 235i buyers) Im coming from a 135.

Absolutely love my 135. It still puts a smile on my face every day I get to drive it--especially with the weather starting to break. BUT, Im an enthusiast and I need a new project car.

The 235i definitely felt bigger--not boaty but more substantial. Then I switched to Sport + and I had my 1er 'go-kart' feel back. It no longer felt 'big' but tight and planted like my 1er with suspension upgrades. And while in normal mode, the steering felt like that of a bigger, more refined car. In Sport +, the tight, nimble 1er steering was back. And the braking still possessed that violent stopping potential.

Inside, I was really pleased. It seems much quieter inside. The tech package had all kinds of goodies. If/when I order a m235i, I will probably get the tech package and I had left that off my previous m235i build options. The stereo sounded really good (and the car I tested didn't have the HK option.) Seats were good but I never had any issues with the 135i seats--in fact I love them. Plastic bits inside seemed more substantial and put together better. I don't have the A pillar noise or dash noises some fellow 1ers have, but Ive always felt the center console belonged in a Kia with its cheap plastic creaks, etc. Those days are gone.

Overall, I think the posters that said 'evolved' pretty much nailed it. It just felt like a 1er that grew up a little. More refined but yet you can still tell the car has that primal, raw 1er feel just under the surface.

I haven't placed my order yet, but Im really close and your review pushed me a little closer to the writing that check.

Im just on the fence with the M2 and throwing some RB Turbos in the 135i until then.
Appreciate 0