View Single Post
      05-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #13
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I'm not in sales, but my dad has been for decades (still is). Just from hearing his stories and seeing him I've picked up on a few things.

Sales is one of those things, you either have it or you don't. You have to be a good bullshitter, but with 100% honesty. Some people are good at sales, but lie. It works at first, but quickly catches up to you. You have to bang the phones all day. Set 100 numbers to call one day, 200 the next and so on. Know and have confidence in your product. If you don't, you'll fumble and fall.

Also, you have no friends at work. Everyone is your competitor and there are no boundries. My dad told me a story about one company he worked for. One guy "claimed" to run a certain territory, yet he wasn't getting sales. My dad went for it and got the business the guy couldn't. The guy stood up in the middle of the office and said who's in my territory. My dad stood up with an asshole smirk on his face and said "That would be me." The guy ended up not saying anything and stormed off."

The problems with sale is when you start making big money. For my dad last employer he was the number one saleman year after year. He was bring in so much business he was making more than the president. So what did the president do, start promoting everyone who didn't do 1/10th of my dads work. That just drove my dad harder, then the pres started shafting his money. My dad quit and after failed other endevours started his own business. The a-hole presidents company went under.

If your friend is still in college, he should take a sales class. I don't plan to go into sales, but figured the class would help me out in other ways in life. It was worth it.
Appreciate 0