View Single Post
      11-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Yeah, my reasoning behind the cheaper Falken's is because of the fact that we seldom see snow. I don't want to fork out $800+ for something that will get used maybe a few days per year. Last year I was stuck at home for a week and it was that situation that led me to tire shop for something better than my summer UHP's and my A/S UHP's just to get me to the store and back for groceries. It's either a cheaper set like the Falken's or a set of those tire sock thingamajigs, but I don't want to spend $800+.
I get it. Get the tires, not the socks. If you have a horrible winter and for some reason decide the Falkens weren't up to snuff, you can always revisit the issue.

I started looking for used, mounted snow tires the day I bought my car. Like you, I won't be driving much in the snow and/or ice, but we do need a tire with some decent grip if the temps drop below +30 or so. To my way of thinking, the average A/S tire is barely adequate in those conditions, even in the dry. I was fortunate to find a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3s from another forum member for $750. They came mounted and balanced, with TPMS, they were the right size, and they came on high-quality wheels. So that's another way to go if you find it necessary, and you can find what you're looking for.
Appreciate 1
hwntime272.00