11-24-2022, 07:51 AM   #113
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
You haven't... Adding an historical background is very enlightening.
Thank you. In that case, let me tell you about what the CIA did to the P-3s to make them special (that I know of):
-- Deleted the magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) boom on the tail
(as part of gutting the airplane of all the ASW equipment)
-- Added a "joe hole" in the floor of the airplane somewhere -- a hatch out of which the agents would drop to parachute into China
-- Made structural changes to the aircraft on the left side to make the entry door into a double-wide door. (This change remained when I flew in the aircraft but the double door wasn't used normally.)
-- Added a bunch of electronic countermeasures (ECM) equipment
-- Added a dorsal observation bubble just forward of the vertical stabilizer
-- According to some sources (this sounds "off" to me but what do I know?), shortened the prop blades so they'd make less noise. (Any aviation experts want to chime in here with skepticism?)
-- Mounted rails for AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles on the wings
(Some sources say the AIM-9s were mounted so they fired backwards; again, my aeronautical spidey sense tells me this is BS: launch a missile backwards in a 200-300 knot wind? I don't think so.)
-- (I think) added photo recon capability
-- (And of course) painted the aircraft overall glossy black. WW2 experience had demonstrated that glossy black is better than flat black when trying to avoid detection by searchlights.
vreihen1615250.00
JJ 911SC22393.00
minn1914033.00