///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Appreciate your thoughts and advice, thank you! I've also considered a TBD like the Quaife or Wavetrac, which both have great reviews but since I already have the factory M VLSD I'm afraid it may not be enough of an upgrade for me. I do about 8-10 track days per year now and consider myself intermediate+, you think I might be a good candidate for a clutch pack unit or should I study/consider the Wavetrac further first? One thing I've read about the clutch pack units is that they also provide increased stability when braking, which I would appreciate, not sure if the TBD's do that. These units are pricey, no doubt so sage advice either way and thanks again for sharing!
ATB differentials do not provide "lock up" upon deceleration, only acceleration. So a Quaife or Wavetrac would not provide any increased stability on breaking, only on acceleration. So, less prone to understeer at the limit on corner entry, but less stability under breaking. The differential I got is a 35/60 ramp, so I get a fair amount of lockup under breaking. When you have to haul the car down really quickly, its a nice feature.

If you are an intermediate driver, you would probably appreciate the advantages of a clutch type differential with custom ramps. That being said, how much is it worth to you?

Also, since you are running an e92 M3, you might be interested in changing the final drive ratio for some more torque. I had mine changed from a 3.08 to the 3.46, same ratio as in the M2. It makes a significant difference, seeing as the gear ratios are the same in both cars (for the 6 speed).
I appreciate the write-up and insight, thanks! For the price I think I should make certain I'm keeping this car for awhile before I make the call. I should also consider what other mods I could do for the same (though my car is well along already). One thought I had was to buy a second used diff to sell with the car so I can sell whatever custom setup I have separately w/o being under time constraints.

Then I hear you on the final drive ratio. My DCT car started out with a 3.15 ratio and was upgraded by the previous owner to a Dinan (BMW Motorsports) 3.45, which is the max recommended for a DCT e92 m3 w/o some remapping of the engine/transmission software and I've only heard of folks in Germany doing this, no one in the US has this knowledge that I'm aware of.

Enjoying the 3.45 so far!