View Single Post
      06-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #14
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Yes, MPSS. I agree that they feel greasy in this kind of weather, but then again we're also talking about 300+ whp in a RWD car with 245 section tires. Don't know any 245 tire that will keep all those ponies in check under full throttle.

Interestingly enough, I just installed my new wheels the other day wrapped in Pilot Sport 4S rubber. 255 in the rear and wow, do they make a difference in grip! I only put ~5 miles on them though as I've decided to sell them to fund the LSD, which I feel is a more pressing need at the moment. I was still curious and wanted to make sure they fit properly without any rubbing, noises, etc. They ended up fitting flawlessly with no issues, and once the oil temp was up, I gave it a couple of hard pulls to see what the tires did. The performance difference they made was huge and quite unexpected compared to the MPSS. The road was even damp and the tires were obviously not worn in enough yet, but they stuck under hard throttle and surprised me quite a bit. The ride was more supple and quieter as well compared to MPSS. Michelin has a winner, I think.
I’d bet the big improvement came from going from the 245 to the 255, not from the PSS to the PS4S. I just switched to 255’s, but stuck to PSS and noticed an improvement in hook. The 255 measured close to 20mm wider than the old 245. Michelin states the 4S was .18 seconds quicker than the PSS around a dry 1.6 mile road course, so that won’t equate to any measurable improvement in first/second gear grip, all else remaining equal.