06-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

m240i break in complete - some random thoughts

I recently hit 1200 miles with my m240i, and here is what I've learned:

1. This engine is mad. I did not know what the 7k rpm redline sounded like, but I do now.

2. The car pulls so hard to redline, and to be honest, it's a bit scary to drive. The rear end is way too unstable and the car just dances side to side as I try to maintain a straight line during acceleration. Absolutely needs the M Performance limited-slip differential. It's really kind of silly that BMW didn't include it in the stock configuration for safety reasons, if nothing else.

3. I'm starting to think twice about my decision to go with the m240i over the 230i. Okay, not really since I will be taking it on track and will be getting the LSD ultimately, but I can TOTALLY understand now why someone would go with a 230i over the m240i for street-only use. It's just the smarter choice if you aren't going to bother with the LSD. Even on track, the m240i's power advantage on the straights will be negated without it.

4. I'm just glad I have another DD, because I'd be getting tickets left and right if I drove this thing every day. After taking 2nd gear to redline and immediately letting off after shifting into 3rd, I glanced down and saw the speedo dropping back down past the 70mph mark. I immediately stabbed the brakes and swung a right because I was so nervous a cop might have seen! LOL!

5. I now need to convince my wife that another 2-door BMW (RWD 230i or 430i) w/ the 8-speed auto is a practical DD replacement for my Volvo XC70 here in the Midwest.

Think that's about it for now...

Last edited by CP911; 06-05-2018 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0