View Single Post
      06-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar1487 View Post
Its just not good. I hate it so much i got rid of the car. I’ve driven infinty q50 or some big luxury sedan and as much as i dislike that steering also, i disliked the driving experience more in the m240i than i did in that infinity. I bought an m4 just to get away from the 240. It’s disappointing, because the motor is great, it looks good, but the steering is just awful. The m240i was my 4th bmw and the steering drove me away from it.
Wow, that's extreme Was your M240 not on summer tires? I've had numerous good handling cars were stellar steering feel including a 90 CRX Si with a manual rack on proper tires and suspension. My M235's steering, while not as direct or full of feel, is entirely fine. I know exactly what the tires are doing and can feel plenty. I rent a ton of cars for work, all of which have electric assist steering and my M235's is by far the best electric assist I've experienced so far. I also don't know what this 1/2" of dead space is either. My car steers as expected per the inputs I give it. I feel no dead spots. My summer setup is a 245/35 MP4S square setup with Dinan springs in the rear. That's it. For street-based sports car, it handles and rides exceptionally well.

Lastly, there are no BMWs with drive-by wire steering. The M235/M240 have the same electric assist steering design as the M2/3/4. The difference with those cars are they have more performance oriented suspensions, alignments, more chassis supports, and wider tires. It all makes for a more lively feel.