View Single Post
      04-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #1
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I missed having ambient lighting in my 2 series coming from my other BMW's. I had installed the LCI 3 series ambient lighting radio/ac trim in my 4 series and loved it. I couldn't do the same in the 2 series because the trim is flushed to the dash so this was my next best solution. This is my first time working with EL Wiring and it is really low priced ($8) so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I received the kit today and started working with it to see if the lighting was consistent and would break when bending around corners. It has a nice consistent lighting effect and remains so even when making hard corners.

The only problem was that I didn't care for the bright orange trim pieces during the day. I remembered I had some spray tint product in the shop and thought I'd try to spray a piece just to see how it turned out. Once I'd did this, I was much happier with the wire when it was not lit blending in with the interior. As an added benefit, the color actually matched the oem orange lighting much better.

I played with the placement on the dash and doors and decided I'd like a more oem look so went with just around the radio/ac trim and will make a straight line across the door panels. I have to order more wire to install in the door panels and plan to get power from the ambient lighting in the foot wells.

Here are a few pictures of various wire placements, half the radio trim in natural finish half being sprayed and the final radio trim results. In the next few weeks, I'll be installing in the door panels and routing and wiring all the connections. I hope this helps others who desire the cool ambient lighting.

Product purchased: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113254799086
Attached Images

Sold: 19 x3 30i X drive, 18 230i X drive Convertible
18 x3, 30i X drive 16 428i Convertible, 16 X1 X drive, 14 i3 Rex, 14 328i, 14 x1 28i X drive, 08 328i, 03 M5, 99 323i Convertible, 00 z3 M Roadster, 99 328i, 00 323i
Appreciate 0