View Single Post
      10-26-2014, 01:44 AM   #3
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
Crisis averted for now thanks to a very good and well-known Samaritan on these boards

I'll admit, I got to coding, got ahead of myself because I was excited and got a little careless. Some lessons I've learned:
  • Make sure you research and know what you're doing. Even when you think you know: double, triple check.
  • You probably don't want to touch the DME2 module
  • If you have to touch DME2, make sure the car is OFF
  • If you want to code defaults, do it individually and not from the top of the tree.

I definitely did not press 'code defaults.' Basically I was trying to just revert everything back to factory so I went to the top level SVT tree and clicked 'Code' which went through each module and re-coded it. What I failed to realize is the DME2 module needs to be coded when the engine is off. Since my engine wasn't off, the coding failed and looks to have corrupted that module's cafd with no way to re-code it (to my knowledge). Not exactly sure how the good samaritan fixed this [he's really fast ;] but it involved resetting the SVT and loading in a different version of the DME2 cafd that matched the i-level (I think something along those lines).

I've been researching how to code for quite some time but I just took delivery of my car about two weeks ago and wasn't able to do much hands-on. I've read these boards countless times, watched videos, and chatted with a few folks. I'm a hardware/software guy by trade, so I thought I knew what I was doing and took it a little too far, too fast and got careless.

Anyway...
Good to know about not needing ncd's for resetting -- assuming you only need the original FA activated then that changes the ncd/cafds, right?

Also good to know about removing fault codes. And yes I agree, only code the ECUs you touch is a solid plan.

This was definitely a stomach-churning scenario and I'm glad I had help here and through a very good and knowledgeable Samaritan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
you sure you clicked "code" and not "code defaults" ?
you don't need your ncd's when you use "code" as it will reset it automatically to factory settings...
Also i would code only the ECU's you modified instead of all the ECUs

Does the car run?

E-SYS can remove the fault code.
Click "External Applications" in the left menu.
Click "External Application"
Double-click "Transmitter"
Scroll to the bottom and double-click "... Clear all DTCs ..."
Appreciate 0