fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Sail panel isn't the only place you can mount your tweeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Thanks - the issue I have is I can get front speakers without a crossover when I buy 'separates' but when I buy them as a single unit I have to pay for the crossover I don't need (running active).
There's a huge thread here on moving to the sail panel method due to 'raising' the soundstage and also moving away from the door pull which 'blocks' the sound. Honestly I can't really tell that much. I've only heard the stock HK system which was meh to me, and super redic high end systems in the M2 which cost half as much as I paid for my car in the first place. It's why I have the non-hk setup, so I can swap it out cheaply.

Personally, my experience leads me to your camp. The 4" height difference between the sail panel and door panel sonically shouldn't be noticeable especially with something like the match amp which I have where you can tweak everything. I found the ability to get higher quality speakers is easier in separates than a coax component setup so the sound improves just naturally. That and there is a serious mounting depth issue with our doors and getting a narrow speaker for clearance limits the selection anyway. (really want the audiofrog GS42 but not sure they clear the doors).

So in reality I don't care much for sail panel or not, but since regardless of whether I go that route I need to run a separate cable from the amp to the tweet and dampen the door (so its not any less complex), I may as well, as it seems like I can get a higher class of speaker for the same money as going the coax route. (willing to be convinced otherwise)

On the fence between Morel 402 (only available in coax) and Audison or Hertz, or CDT. All in they are approx $199/pair for a separate 4" Mid and tweet +- a few bucks. Audison/CDT are the only one that makes a drop in replacement which saves complexity as its got the tri-hole mount and spacer built in. But the Morel Tempo seems to be less, and the Audison Voce is less too without the fancy mount. Wish I could hear them but that's never possible (I like warm speakers not bright).

Seth
For the serious tweeter enthusiast, here is a serious vendor:

https://www.ebay.com/str/valicarstuttgart
Attached Images

Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0