View Single Post
      07-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Aside from what interval is set (probably regardless of that), I do believe that the 'drive like it was stolen' will shorten intervals until it tells you to change oil. I'd guess that part of this is via the amount of TCS activation or hard acceleration, but that is just a guess - mine seems to distinguish between routine use and heavy driving periods. When I'm up in the mountains nearly every weekend, the 'time 'til next service' will drop rapidly, but it sits pegged at 6k for a month or more if all I'm doing is commuting.
Going back to the original variable oil change interval for BMWs in the E46 and earlier era of fuel injected cars the oil change interval was determined by the number of litres of fuel consumed (I seem to remember it being 2,500 litres for my 323Ci). The harder the car is driven, the higher the fuel consumption, hence the lower the change interval.

They have added other parameters over the years and used oil quality sensors in some models, but I believe fuel consumption is still the main driver of the oil change interval. The projected interval is going to change based on the projected fuel consumption in the recent past being used to estimate the likely remaining interval.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00