View Single Post
      07-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Carbon Fibre Explained

To be honest, most carbon looks similar. But with anything, you get what you pay for.

Pricing will range based on the size and complexity of the part, but for a gauge I'll provide some info based on a 1pc front lip.

Paying between $150-250, expect the lowest grade of carbon fibre manufacturing with inconsistent finish and most likely made up with mostly fibreglass coated in 1 layer of carbon fibre for the aesthetic. At this price point, I honestly wouldn't bother and would just opt for Gloss Black ABS parts instead.

Paying between $250-600, quality will improve and generally you should see less inconsistencies. You may find products made of purely carbon fibre in this price range but most products will still contain fibreglass or some other form of composite. Expect a decent finish on the product between 6-12 months.

$600+ you will start to see more premium build quality. At this price, factories can use higher quality materials and critically moulds, meaning better fit and finish (less waviness in the carbon surface). Expect warranties at this price point with a guarantee of finish at least 12 months, up 24 months. At this point you should also begin to see pre-preg carbon fibre. If you've not heard of this before, pre-preg carbon fibre is shorthand for pre-impregrenated carbon fibre, which means the carbon fibre sheet is manufactured with the resin needed to construct the part. This means that the carbon sheets contain just the right amount of resin to ensure strength and keep weight low. This is different to wet-laid parts which have the resin applied during the manufacturing of the product rather than the sheet. There are a number of sources online to explain this in more detail but essentially pre-preg carbon fibre = better.

$1000+. At this price, OEM quality is achieved and expected. This is 'real' carbon fibre: lightweight, strong and durable.

In my opinion, if you're opting for carbon fibre parts, it's worth investing more. We know first hand having scene every type of grade of carbon pass through our shop that the investment is worth it. All the lads in the warehouse are genuinely wow'ed when we see a piece of 3DDesign or Sterckenn carbon fibre pass through the dispatch bay.
Appreciate 0