View Single Post
      11-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Finding a good instructor that gets you and the car is kinda tough.
Excellent point, and one that gets into the issue of the variation in instructors. My bottom line on the subject: instructors differ from one another in a number of ways - some matter, and others do not.

This is just the way it is when the instructors are generally volunteers in a volunteer organization, and you're getting the instruction for "free" (yes, you did pay for instruction via your registration fee, but it's not like hiring a professional race car driver to coach you (that's something you can do, although it's going to cost you)).

I recommend that drivers not be shy about introducing themselves to the chief instructor of the club and asking for an instructor recommendation or two. You'll probably find yourself doing this at an event where you've already been assigned an instructor; in that case, simply ask which other instructors you might jump in their car with to see what they're doing out on the track. Then go ask them for a ride, time permitting - theirs and yours. This is one way you can maximize your bang for the buck, because this is not an inexpensive hobby. If you ride with your assigned instructor and one or two others, you'll be exposed to as much as you can handle.
Appreciate 0