View Single Post
      07-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #59
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I just read through all the xHP and bm3 trans flash threads. I'm trying to get a solid idea of what these do, specifically xHP stage 2 in manual mode only (i do not drive in D or S so do not care). I understand and believe BM3 TCU flash to be simply a 3rd/6th tq limiter removal tool for 335/435/535 etc that have this limit.

One thing ive noticed: everyone is clamoring about changes after the flash and thinking bm3 added some mystery features or tweaks they didn't mention anywhere, yet maybe 2 people mentioned or wondered about the adaptive logic. I don't absolutely know, but as an educated guess, I would place all my money on the learned adaptations being flashed over/reset and returning to whatever basemap the trans would otherwise start with off the factory floor. This would explain the different shift points, and line pressure and speed of shifts after flash. It would not make any sense that these adaptations were not reset, especially when changing values that would affect said adaptations, or that adaptations had their own dedicated RAM that was not reset ever unless specifically commanded to by a scan tool. Edit: other reason to believe BM3 is only a torque limit removal tool is because anything else would step on xHP's work. Not saying in a competitive market that doesn't happen, but this is a very small market of people wanting this and tuning companies seem to look out for each other in cases like this, it would be a moralless decision on bm3's part to include anything other than the torque limit remover (which could be seen as a necessary requirement for tuned 8at cars)

To those with xHP stage 2 who drive in manual/sport+, like sea_m235i, can you give a more detailed review of part throttle shifts, driving around town, low speed type stuff? The oem/stock tcu flash shifts pretty quick under full load and I'm happy that xHP will eliminate microslip in that scenario for higher power outputs, but the sloppy nature of low load, low rpm shifting is what i'm after to fix. It rolls into each next gear in an attempt to smooth the experience out with slower-than-optimal engagement (again, talking manual mode only). I notice this on rev-matched downshifts too, there is some extra time it hangs or before fully engaging clutchpack once engine rpm is matched. These are obviously first world problems, and the 8hp45 in the m235i is absolutely amazing, but i'd like it to err more on the side of harder, less sloppy shifts at the expense of smoothness

I saw it mentioned elsewhere, and if anyone knows the difference between the mechatronics units in the 335/435 vs m1/235, if there is one, im genuinely interested

Last edited by Liandri; 07-03-2019 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0