OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Yeah, right. You're not looking to hoon about doing burnouts, just wanting to responsibly clean off those tires for a good data run. Suuuure. And if it happens in a Dunkin donuts parking lot in front of a bunch of onlookers, well, no accounting for coincidence. If you want to really crush in the drags you will go back to AWD and put on a set of drag radials, perhaps with some rubber conditioner to soften them up a bit (I hear there are also some common household chemicals that will make for a nice smokey 'tire cleaning').

The answer to your Q is called a torque converter, kind of a hydraulic clutch; keep exploring this new world of burnouts and you'll learn a lot more about these than you ever wanted to (you're on target with that 'snap and seize' part). It lets the $15000 motor spin wildly while the $9000 drivetrain sits there held in place; then you engage it suddenly and hope that it is the tire contact patches that give up and create a burnout. Trans brakes just do the holding in the tranny, instead of with the brakes - what you crave is a line lock (and a '70's Camaro).
Ok nice so that torque converter is the abstraction layer or mediator that allows the input side of the equation to be at 5000rpm and the output side at 0ish rpm?

So its taking the beating / brunt of that force when you release it and you hope the tires break free?

I assume in my automatic car this process is transparent to me, in that the computer controls its engagement based on what I do with the pedals?

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0