01-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #25
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
MZ, meant to thank you again for your advice.

I installed the MEC module with a USB input and connected it to a Fiio with the tethertools cable you recommended. I used my laptop to select the various options, but initially it would not work. After checking any number of possible problems and exhausting my knowledge of profanity, I eventually discovered that the "global priority" that is supposed to enable administrative-type messages to override the MEC USB input in fact caused all the head unit input to override the MEC USB input. Once I disabled "global priority," it worked.

It does sound very good. I am using lossless files I ripped from CDs using iTunes. I am not great at A/B comparisons, but it seems to me that music sounds more resolved through the Fiio and the MEC USB input than the same files do through a thumb drive and the USB input in the console in the front seat.
Did you install the AF driver for the USB port. It's a necessity. install it and then click on the .exe file. I had this issue as I thought a simple install of the driver was that was required. You need to take the extra step to install the actual driver.

Unfortunately, iTunes doesn't provide lossless file AFAIK. I found this site: https://vox.rocks/blog/10-best-sources-to-download. I'm into both classic rock and classical music. I've downloaded several Rachmaninoff albums-amazing clarity.
Appreciate 0