Thread: 230i or M235i?
View Single Post
      05-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
tcoffin014
Rep
Drives: 2007 STI, 1998 Integra

Need some advice. I'm seriously considering a 2 series after test driving an M235i at CarMax, but it was auto and I want a manual. I'm also possibly considering a 228i or 230i with M sport and track packages.

I know there are a ton of comparisons out there, but I was hoping to get some help on my exact situation.

I found a 230i with M sport and track packages in a color combo I like. It's listed for about $3-5000 less than M235is with similar miles (~36k), and it's newer (2017) than the M235is I'm looking at (usually 2014-15 in my price range). The 2017 will still be under warranty until 2021 or 50k miles, but it is a private party seller. Will this warranty transfer to me? It also has a Dinan tune installed by BMW that I was told also has a warranty. One reason I'm considering this car is that it does still have the warranty, but if it doesn't tranfer to me, I don't mind waiting or spending a few thousand more on the right M235i.

Another problem I have is that none of the cars I like are close to me, and I don't have the time or funds to travel much for a car. I know I like the power of the M235i, so I would hate to settle for a 230i and be disappointed, but I have read that they handle better so it's kinda a toss up for me. I will be mostly daily driving with about one autocross per month and maybe a few track days each year. Oh but the sound of the 6 cylinder is awesome.

Another question I have is about extended warranties. Will BMW offer extended warranties on used cars bought from private sellers? I know there are a bunch of 3rd party warranty companies, but are any reasonably priced with good coverage?

TLDR: Get newer 2017 230i for a little less with (possible) warranty, or get slightly older M235i with no warranty for a few thousand more?
Appreciate 0