View Single Post
      11-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #6
RacerBowie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddbmw View Post
Road Atlanta is the reverse of VIR. RA = Downhill "S"s, short straight between 6 and 7, long back straight, pucker factor turn 12. VIR = Up hill "S"s, short straight between 11 and 12, shorter long back straight, off camber turn 17. Was told the track designer made an effort to copy VIR.

It was not until I raced RA, and had talks with others, that it hit me about the similarities. Helped me improve my section time between turn 11 & 12 at VIR, I was coasting/lifting between the two (not coasting/lifting at RA 6 & 7, since the distance was longer), thinking it was one turn (not thinking it was two turns).
That's a really good point about 11/12 and 6/7. You can lose a lot of time if you don't charge the first one, or at a minimum really had a pass to someone.

And really, South Bend's approach is different than RA turn 1, but thecommitment level to go fast through it is the same. If you have the right pace at turn in you aren't sure you're going to make it until well past the apex.

Interesting comparison that I've never heard made before... explains why I love them both. Thanks!
Appreciate 0