Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i / M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtl32 View Post
Interesting, take a look at your shifter when you load/unload the engine. Does it lean to the right when you load it? Mine does, moves maybe 3/4- a full centimeter over when I give it spool up a bit in second gear. No clunk or thump but I do notice that in 4-5-6 gear if I'm below 3400 rpm and whack the gas it will surge up a small bit, maybe 100rpm, I'll hear my BOV hiss a little air and the tach will fall lower to the appropriate rpm. I always just thought this was an overboost situation because of the aggressive ots tune + lugging situation but it might be the same as yours- if we are actually just spinning the trans+diff combo on their soft stock mounts.

Can you post a video of the behavior? I'll get one tomorrow and post it too.

Hi, thank you for chiming in. I should add that I did try full solid polyurethane transmission mounts and while that did further improve the feel, it was way way way too harsh so I reverted back to stock for the mounts. Rpm bounce did not change.

I do suspect that rpm bounce is related to flywheel/spring compression - there was absolutely no play in driveline after the tranny... Prob need to test drive another manual 2-3 series to see if it does the same.
As mentioned, rear shifter bushing seems to have made the most noticeable impact on how tight everything feels.
Appreciate 0