View Single Post
      09-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #120
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe View Post
I just got my muffler delete and wanted to share my thoughts on this.

I have the VRSF downpipe + muffler delete but kept the resonator in tact.

It is very loud on cold-start. If you park in the garage, it's almost 2x as loud as stock exhaust with downpipe.

Inside the cabin, it is very loud. You can hear the bass of the exhaust. There's also drones upon acceleration at around 1.5K that goes away at 2K, then another drone at about 3K-3.6K. If you are going up a steep hill, be ready for some loud drones.

Sound
From the outside, it sounds good. From the inside, it sounds "decent." I say decent because the sound is not "consistent," if that makes any sense... At certain rpms, the cabin would sound good, but at other rpms, the tone of the exhaust makes it sound like a diesel truck. This is subjective though.

Formula for getting gunshots every time:

Get muffler delete + downpipe + 6mt. When you're coming to a stop, downshift from 3rd to 2nd and make sure you're rpm is at about 2.5K-3K, then very, very gently step on the throttle for a split second.

Now onto power.... I feel there's a loss in low-end torque, though some people have said that muffler deletes do not cause any power loss. The outlet of the Y pipe that replaced the stock muffler is 2.25", making it 5" total for exhaust gases to exit. Inlet I believe is the same size as the midpipe.

When I launch, prior to muffler delete, I am pushed back to the seats after the turbo spools up around 2K-2.5K rpm. Now I don't feel that jolt anymore, but a rather linear increase in torque.

Cliff notes:
- If you don't mind the cabin loud at certain rpms and drones, this is for you
- If you want an aggressive sounding exhaust, this is for you
- If you want gunshot overruns, this is for you.
- If you don't care about the feeling of being pushed back in low rpms, this is for you.
- If your gf/wife isn't into cars, a muffler delete+dp is going to annoy them.

** To those with same setup, have you noticed low end torque loss?
Good write up. I want to do a muffler delete on my M240 when I get it but my big concern is loss of low end torque. Very interested to hear others experiences with this too.
Appreciate 0