View Single Post
      11-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
I'll freely admit, I don't know much about car electronics and I had the install done by another party. Anyway, if there is a relatively easy solution, I welcome it. I had this sub in another car and it hit much harder (different amp at almost the same power).
The signal coming from a stereo head unit is full range, 20-20,000 Hz or so, covering low bass all the way to high treble. The amplifier/signal processor (even the non-HK audio system has one) does two things: it increases power to make it listenable and also routes different parts of the frequency range to the correct speakers (lows to the subs under the seats, highs to the tweeters in the door sail panel, everything in between to the mid ranges in the doors.

By design, the signal arriving at the rear deck/door speakers is not full range, it's cut off by the amp to not send anything below 150Hz. If that's the starting point for the sub amp, then there's no way the sub will hit hard since it's not being "fed" anything below 150Hz (hard punchy bass is well below 100Hz).

If the installer didn't know the car has a processor, they may have assumed the signal they were tapping in to was full range when it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You're best off using Technic's add an amp harness, no need to tap anything.
+1. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Appreciate 0