bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Numerous tests have the WRX bring a good bit quicker than the STI in a straight line, especially under 100.

You seem to be confusing yourself by wanting to argue straight line and track performance alternatively.
Calling the WRX quicker is a pretty disingenuous argument. Everything I've read shows that the WRX wins by a very narrow margin at the 60 MPH mark because of a difference in shift points. Basically, the STi has one extra gear change before the 60 MPH mark. I would not call it a sacrifice in straight-line performance. I'd call it winning on a technicality. If you were to race the cars right next to each other, it'd be a dead heat until the STi starts to pull away because of the greater HP. In the quarter mile, the STi tromps the WRX. That's hardly a "compromise" for the STi, and hardly a "win" for the WRX.

It also doesn't support your broader argument, because it's not really a compromise. Nobody cares about performance at *exactly* 60 MPH. Ok, so some people do, but those people are idiots Even when you're talking about "straight-line" performance, the STi dominates the WRX in the quarter-mile.

It's really hard to find a top-tier performance car that makes any compromises to a lower-tier car of the same model. I don't believe BMW would be successful in making that a reality for the M2. You might be willing to accept compromises, but the general buying public are not, or at least there are no good examples of a case where they have shown that they are.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0