05-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #167
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
While 400 Hp is definitely not gonna happen, I completely disagree with your post also. You are in a very tiny minority of buyers who does not care about straight line speed, and Hp numbers. There is no way BMW can charge more for a car that is slower than the M235i. Not happening

Since you mentioned the M2's predecessor the 1M, BMW has already shown that they can make a car that is both fast in a straight line and a lot of fun to drive. Why mess with a winning formula?

The cheaper route for BMW (which also happens to be the preferred option by most on this forum according to this survey) is to continue the same formula of the 1M, with a little more power from a Turbo I6 and a little less weight. 350-360 Hp and 3200 lbs would be realistic in my humble opinion.
I'm not really arguing for a slower car, just willing to accept lower power provided it comes with lower weight too. I'd taken similar straight line performance with significantly better handling. Look at the STI, which has sold well in spite of the fact that the regular WRX is quicker. The STI makes up for it with better handling and more robust bits. That sort of compromise is acceptable to me.

Again, BMW will have tons of options here, between the M2, M4, M235i and 435i/M435i, you should be able to pick any number of quick cars (all of which will be far from the quickest in their price range) and making one stand out as different seems likes a real possibility here, rather than creating four similar slices of bratwurst. The 1M was not significantly quicker than a DSG 135i or a 335is, yet it certainly has maintained better resale and more community love than either of those.
Appreciate 0