Drives: 08' 335i, ZHP 330i

Garage List
88 .  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I just drove the new 328i today and I have to say, that car with a tune would be perfect daily driver.

It's faster than my n54 335i stock for stock.

The gearing in the new tranny is what makes the difference. You might be surprised if you ran the numbers on acceleration of the new 328i vs the s14b23. That 328 weighs a hell of a lot more but also has a hell of a lot more torque <4500 rpm where the s14 can finally get out if its own way.

I've owned all the cars listed here. There are classics that are special and new cars that are special. You can't compare Jim Brown to Adrian Petersen. Same position different era.

The ///M2 will be special. The only ///M car that wasn't was our E36 332is Mtechnik.

T
I really want to get some seat time in a N20 powered 3-series with a chip. I know they can top 300 whp, but I really question the drivability. I used to be a VW guy, and I knew a handful of people with chipped 1.8T and 2.0T cars that made crazy power, but man, the character was just garbage.

Yes I realize how unfair that comparison is when you consider the dual-inlet geometry turbos and more advanced fuel injection used on modern BMW engines, but there are limits imposed by physics. When you start pushing 300+ HP out of a 2 liter I4, I become deeply suspect. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've really been looking forward to the M2, so I'm not going to cut them any slack if they do go with the turbo I4. It had better be spectacular, and any hint of a laggy turbo character just isn't going to fly with me.
The perception of reduced turbo lag in the N20 is the 8 speed gearing down so quickly. The quick ratios on that tranny is amazing. The new 328i will be special with tune. That engine/trans are very well matched. I haven't driven the 335i with the 8 speed but it must be nice too.

I have faith in M as long as its on their terms and not pressure from marketing to get one into the market (E36 M3).

T
Appreciate 0