View Single Post
      07-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
I'm sure you have not driven an Xdrive 2 series before, it does not have more understeer than a rwd car, in fact, the tail steps out quite often.

Xdrive will not get outrun by a rwd one simply because I don't see how you can send all of the 320hp to the skinny back tires in the middle of a corner.

In terms of driving enjoyment, RWD is undoubtably superior, but it is not faster than Xdrive. One of the cars I have beaten is a tuned E60 M5, it has over 530hp and a mechanical LSD.
Only on a short track, like auto-x, plays into the advantages of x-drive. Above ~60mph, the x-drive drivetrain loss impacts acceleration and it starts getting walked by the RWD. The Car & Driver link I provided demonstrates this perfectly as the RWD M235 8AT got to 100mph over 1 second quicker than the M235x 8AT. That's pretty big. The RWD cars tend to post around 2mph faster 1/4 mile trapspeed too. Again, pretty significant.