09-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #46
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogSwims View Post
I just completed the advice given about how to remove the center speaker from my M240i and I am now a really happy camper. Awesome advice. The change in sound quality is truly amazing. I know HK and BMW wanted to provide surround sound so they included a center speaker, but that is a really big mistake for listeners of music. What driver listens to movies?! Anyway, thanks to everyone who made me so happy.
Ideally, the listener sits in between stereo speakers at an equal distance. With a decent audio system, it should be able to create a soundstage as if the audio was coming from in front of you. For obvious reasons, this is very difficult in a car, thus the need for a "processed" centre channel.

Its intention is to improve sound imaging, so that the soundstage for both driver and passenger are relatively the same. If you're sat on the right, without the centre speaker, then sound coming from the left speaker will sound far away, shifting the soundstage (vice versa).

Perhaps I'm wrong for this particular car, but if you do some research in to car audio processing, this explanation would certainly come up.

Having said that, I now own a m235i coming from a HK equipped 435i. It definitely does not sound as good, and without Logic 7 processing, the centre channel probably does more harm than good. Sigh.

Last edited by mastrchee; 09-16-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0