04-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #60
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
Did you have the alignment checked?

The M2 lower control arm mod is reputed to fix this problem. While that won't fit on your AWD, it seems to me that the only thing that mod does which could affect the dead spot on centre is increase the (negative) camber 1/2 degree. (The bushing might be stiffer as well, but that should improve only transient response.)

It appears from reading many threads on steering that the dead spot varies from car to car. My own experience - my RWD has about half the size of dead spot as yours, whereas the AWD I test drove had none at all. The issue is probably variations in the steering rack, as you suggest, but the other possibility is that cars with the dead spot have camber set near the positive limit of the range.
I did find LCAs by another company that fit but this is 100% for sure the electric rack. The alignment was checked first. I drove a RWD car that didn't have the issue but I also drove an xdrive as a loaner that felt different... not great but different. I spend a lot of time on the highway and constantly juggling the wheel just got too old.
Appreciate 0