04-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #59
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
To be clear I believe there to be an actual problem with my electric steering rack that is not indictive of all M240s. I have a deadspot at zero that is about two inches of travel, a hard start after that of resistance and then a harder spot where the heavy resistance of sport and sport+ start. Been to two dealers for a total of three times about it and they tell me its normal and they cannot reproduce... even though it's like that all the time and is extra pronounced in Sport+. Whatever.
Did you have the alignment checked?

The M2 lower control arm mod is reputed to fix this problem. While that won't fit on your AWD, it seems to me that the only thing that mod does which could affect the dead spot on centre is increase the (negative) camber 1/2 degree. (The bushing might be stiffer as well, but that should improve only transient response.)

It appears from reading many threads on steering that the dead spot varies from car to car. My own experience - my RWD has about half the size of dead spot as yours, whereas the AWD I test drove had none at all. The issue is probably variations in the steering rack, as you suggest, but the other possibility is that cars with the dead spot have camber set near the positive limit of the range.