View Single Post
      06-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #25
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast5 View Post
Sounds like you've got an awesome gig and are living the life. Thanks for sharing your secrets to success. I'm enjoying the industry I'm in so far, but will definitely consider your route if I'm looking for a change. If you don't mind me asking, how many years of hard work did you have to go through to get to your position?
I started in 1993. Didn't know shit. Fortunately golf got me the gig. I knew a guy who owned his own agency and asked if I was continuing my pro golf career. I said after 2 years of grinding it out on several mini tours, living out of the trunk of my car basically, i couldn't shoot 65 every time I teed like the other players. Dreams were shattered so Plan B evolved.

Learned a bit from my first agency, got hired to run my own gig on a 3 year stress program. Got through it and the rest is history. Hire great people I find is the key over the years. Have excellent agency processes and structure and it becomes a juggernaut so to speak. The business is just like compounding interest. After a few years it starts to mushroom as far as commissions. Keep hiring , 1099 mostly, a few w-2's for admin and service and its off to the races. Don't get me wrong it takes a while to figure out what works and what doesn't which you have to go through. Luckily enough I found a few mentors who "made" it and I begged for help. I basically mirrored their play book and rolled with it. Tweaked it to my liking but the foundation they layed out for me. Without that I would have failed miserably.

I worked my ass off in the beginning and smarter as I get older. I hunt for whales and let me sales crew keep writing the small stuff every day, every week, every month so they are focused based upon the commission structure and bonus opportunies. Keeps them hungry so they make good money and I get my cut from all of them. That's the beauty of this business. I worry more about my next golf trip and business golf outings these days.
Appreciate 0