Thread: Smelly Aircon
View Single Post
      06-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I don't know how complicated this is on our newer cars, but first step was always to ensure that the water drain is free flowing - used to be on older cars you could run a wire cleaner up a short drain tube. If your car isn't dripping water steadily when AC is running then that may be an issue (likely this won't fully fix things, but if you don't have easy draining the problem would return immediately). You are correct that the ozone if for the internals, where the cabin air flows, and the ozone treatments I referenced are the industrial units, not those little things that plug into your lighter socket. The only one I've seen had hoses to intake and outflow, so it recirculated the O3 through the system overnight. I know this is a problem that the manufacturers have been working on from many angles - sealed systems, coatings to discourage mold growth, etc. So it may be that there are also good cleaning/disinfecting routines if you ask around - in your area this can't be a rare phenomenon.
Appreciate 0