View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #73
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Still on the 235s? If so, I'd say you've definitely gotten your money's worth out of them!

Regarding your tire temperatures, I haven't seen any published data on recommended tire temps for the RE-71R, but I'd guess that 190 degrees is pretty high. FWIW, I've understood the RE-71R to be more of an autocross tire than a track tire. I've never used them, though.

To run a car with this much weight and power on the track, you'll get a dramatic boost in grip by increasing both your wheel and your tire widths. And by adding some negative camber. And an LSD. And...

Seriously, 8½-9" wheels and 245/40s would create a significantly different experience. If cost is an issue, though, I'd start with camber. Just my 2¢.

As I say, I haven't run the tire, but if I had them and didn't know where to start, I'd aim for 35-39 hot.

Perhaps other drivers with track experience on the RE-71R can weigh-in here.
The tire lasted pretty good so far.
140 Auto x runs, 3-20 min track sessions. I had to flip it though.

I will be doing 2 more auto x this year and it will be DUN.

Primary focus for me is staying in FS for Auto x. So no wider rim or camber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I know them to have very soft sidewalls in comparison to just about any other 200tw tire. That's one of the reason I think they provide good grip even in the cold. Soft tire compound and soft sidewalls allow a lot of flex. I've seen plenty of picture of RE-71r flexing like crazy under load.
That's actually kinda surprising. I thought the RE71r has stiff sidewall.

Maybe going for 235/45/17 was a mistake. 225/45/17 could be better with only 0.1" less thread width.

Next year, I'm thinking about going 245/40/17 on current 7.5" rim.
Apparently, lots of GTI guys run 245 on their 7.5" rim for auto x.
At least I will have shorter sidewall with this setup. (25.4" vs 24.7" in diameter, so 0.35" shorter sidewall. )
Will see how it works.
Appreciate 0