View Single Post
      09-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I agree with much of the last two posts. Winter tires make a huge difference. Part of the problem that leads some to skip winter tires is that they hear of some all seasons that can get a car moving. But, getting a car moving is the least important function of the three possible, go, turn, stop. Going is a convenience. Turn and stop prevent damage, injury, or worse. Just as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, winter tires turn and stop significantly better than any possible all season. There are some new "all weather" tires launching that carry the snowflake symbol that one can consider.

Before leaving this topic, one more fine point. XDrive adds zero traction to a vehicle. Traction occurs at the contact patch of the tire. Nothing above the tire generates traction. If the tires are low traction, you can spin two or four wheels all you like...it won't perform well. What XDrive does is to take advantage of the traction available of two more tires when it sends power to them. That's all. That can help get a car moving, but does not help with a turn/stop manuever on snow/ice. You cannot overemphasize the importance of the actual tires...the only part of your car meant to ever be in contact with the outside world. XDrive is not a substitute for tires with traction.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 4
aerobod3625.50
boyerizm243.00